Despite Covid-19 and a very challenging year, David Erik Chase, President, AIA Palm Beach Foundation for Architecture is pleased to announce that the Board of Trustees, administrative staff, and contributors have succeeded in coming together to advance many of the Foundation’s key performance goals including:
Four Student Scholarships were awarded – These annual scholarship funds are made available to architectural students—whose primary residence is in Palm Beach County—enrolled in an accepted, accredited architectural program. Candidates must be entering their 3rd, 4th, or 5th year or any master’s or doctoral NAAB accredited program. The 2020 winners are:
- Minami Guido, University of Florida, William Mignogna Memorial Scholarship
- Yara Zbib, Florida Atlantic University, Palm Beach Foundation of Architecture Scholarship
- Jessica Urchoili, Florida Atlantic University, AIA National Scholarship
- Antonio Miragaya, Florida International University, AIA National Scholarship
Legacy 2022, AIA Center for Architecture and Design – With the goal being to establish an architectural center to advance the understanding and significance of Architecture & Design in Palm Beach County and beyond by Fall 2022, our 2020 achievements include:
- Researched best practices of other centers in the United States.
- Retained exploratory initiatives regarding grants and other available resources.
- Organized and hosted a “visioning session” which led to the PBFA establishment of the “Legacy 2020 Steering Committee.”
- Requested proposals for fundraising strategies.
Governance – After an in-depth interview, the Board of Trustees decided to expand the seven-member architect-trustee board membership to nine trustees, with the addition of two (future) non-architect Board Member positions to expand the Foundation’s reach and support within the community.
2020 Giving Tuesday Campaign – A global movement that inspires people and communities to come together at a time of the year when they can collectively help those in need, was initiated as an annual fundraising initiative to raise money for our Student Scholarship Program.
Annual Golf Tournament – Without being able to host our Annual Golf Tournament, we were fortunate this year to still be able to receive numerous donations from our Trustees and Friends of the Foundation. Although not as lucrative as needed to support our programs, we anticipate that in 2021 we will again engage with the Annual Golf Tournament to make up the deficit.
A heartfelt “thank you” to everyone for your continued support. For more information or to get involved in the AIA Palm Beach Foundation for Architecture, go to https://aiapbfa.org/contact/ or call (561) 430-1772.